What is Expanding Quality in Infant and Toddler Care (EQIT)?
The Expanding Quality in Infant Toddler Care (EQIT) 48-hour course of training is designed for any individual who works with infants and toddlers and is interested in improving his/her knowledge and skills.
It is particularly appropriate for child care providers who are looking for an in-depth, hands-on course focused on work with infants and toddlers in group care and who may not have taken many college courses.
Additional details about the course
On-site coaching is available to individuals who are enrolled in a local EQIT class. We highly encourage all EQIT course participants to take advantage of this supportive way to deepen their understanding and skills.
Successful completion of the EQIT 48-hour course of training meets the infant toddler training requirements specific to early childhood teachers, center directors, and the specialized family childcare licenses. The EQIT course is offered at very low cost of $50.
Participants in the EQIT Course learn about the importance of brain development in the first 3 years of life, social/emotional, cognitive, and physical development, and working with families as well as effective strategies for curriculum and discipline through 16 3-hour modules.
These modules include:
- The Wonder of Infancy
- Care of the Spirit
- Responsive Caregiving for Healthy Relationships
- Our Partners, The Families
- Cornerstones of Quality Care: Health, Safety, and Nutrition (two modules)
- The Power of Places and Spaces
- Day to Day the Relationship Way: Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers
- Exploring Early Learning
- Learning to Talk, Talking to Learn
- The Joy of Discovering Literacy
- Babies in Motion
- Understanding and Respecting the Gifts of Culture
- Welcoming Children with Special Needs
- Making a Difference with Relationship Based Care
- Celebrating Our Profession
In addition to the 48 hours of direct class time, each participant is also offered coaching through the EQ RELATE Model of Coaching. Following similar relationship based principles covered in the EQIT Course, EQ RELATE Coaching supports providers in reflecting on and applying new understandings to their own practice.